Friday, June 15, 2012

Drew- visit to the cotton district

Yesterday we went to the cotton district in Starkville Ms. At first I was apprehensive to if I was really going to learn something from a city where when you first enter you see row upon row of cookie cutter housing for college students and then these state of the art highways. As we went into the district I paid no attention to what was around me but when the bus stopped I began to see the world in a different perspective. I saw that  the person who created this community had drawn together the cultures and styles of the entire world.. from Russian domes to Italian doors to even styles of Belgium castles. I saw that you didn't see row upon row of parking spaces with a bit of shrubbery here and there. I saw that everything was walkable with efficient amounts of parking. Nature was part of the community and it really made a impression on me because I felt like this was a place of comfort and peace and not a place of cookie cutter houses to feed the demands of a lazy overgrowing population. If all of Mississippi was like the Cotton District then people would enjoy and thrive to be in Mississippi.     

No comments:

Post a Comment